Chop Suey

Chop suey (Chinese: ; pinyin: suì; literally "assorted pieces")

Much like the popular dish Chop Suey this blog will be a mix of assorted thoughts, stories, pictures and the like from our adventures in China.

Wednesday, February 23, 2011

The Chopsticks Diet

World, I've found it. The ultimate diet. The best part about it is that you can eat anything you want! The only rule is that you have to move the food from the plate to your mouth...and here in lies the nature of the beast.

I have never really found my chopstick using nitch. Being in China has obviously forced me to confront this issue and I have. Sometimes I think I'm getting better and sometimes I feel my hand cramp up mid meal and just start stabbing the various food items. For my own sake, I hope I my skill is increasing.  If not, I'm going to be back to the 2nd day we arrived in Guiyang. It was our first meal we had by ourselves and we were a bit nervous. We were the only non-Chinese in the restaurant (which now isn't really weird but then it was crazy...lots of pointing, staring, etc) so my nerves were already a little on edge. Our meal was made of lots of different meats, veggies and of course spices. About 15 minutes in a spicy pepper was flicked into my eye, immediately disintegrating my contact and my confidence.

Let's hope that doesn't happen again.

Carl says that living in the country that created chopsticks is my best chance to learn and if I don't, "I'm sunk". As we have previously described, most of our meals are communal. So when you are the weakest link in the chopstick food chain your plate tends to be a little bare. And as of today, I am proud to say that my chopstick skills have definitely increased and I am moving up that food chain slowly but surely.

But I'm still thinking about going international with this new diet. It's gonna be a thing.

3 comments:

  1. Oh ems. this is adorable. Have you tried the rubber band around the top of the sticks? I saw a little kid eating like that at pei wei the other day. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maybe the chopstick diet can work for me too? Let me know if there is an inspirational and overpriced video I can buy to guide me through it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. People would take pity on me and use my chopsticks to put food on my plate, or they brought out forks, spoons, when available. I probably could use this diet right about now. There was so much walking there.

    ReplyDelete